Sweden has one of Europe’s most strict immigration policies. However, it has relaxed immigration requirements except for children under the age of 18 and adults aged 18 to 20 and the residents of Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and the rest of the EU. The easiest way of applying for immigration to Sweden is to apply online.
The Swedish Government website states about its migration policy as –
Sweden’s migration policy comprises refugee and immigration policy, return policy, support for repatriation and the link between migration and development. It also includes global cooperation on these issues. It also covers issues related to Swedish citizenship.
Immigration to Sweden will take two years if you have steady employment before a permanent residency permit can be issued. You have to stay and serve 2 to 5 years in Sweden to apply for a citizenship test.
European Union citizens don’t need a work permit but must notify the Migration Board if they are staying longer than three months. It will take nearly three months to approve citizenship by the migration office of Sweden.
Immigration to Sweden – The Process
To be a Swedish citizen, here are some pre-requisites-
- You can prove your identity.
- Aged 18 years or older.
- You fulfil requirements to get a permanent residency permit (not applicable to a temporary residence permit).
- Right of citizenship or residency cards (applies if you are an EU citizen or an EU citizen’s close relative)
- Fulfil the standard residence criteria (i.e. residing for a time in Sweden)
- You’ve done well while in Sweden.
- When you have children under 18 who live in Sweden, they would also become Swedish citizens, when you also apply for the same.
- Sole custody of the child/children, or shared care with another parent/s who have given their permission, to include your children in the application.
- You must attach other documents if you are an EU or EEA citizen mentioned on the immigration site.
You can apply online. But before the process, please be aware that you have the following information with you.
- Valid E-mail address
- can pay your fees concurrently with your application through a card or online banking service (your account must be online for banking)
- Grant your approval from the Swedish Migration Agency until receiving your signed letter
- Your country of origin national passport or identification card.
How to Apply Online?
- First, sign in with your account details and go through the application process step by step.
- You will sign your application with BankID if you log in and only apply for yourself.
- You need to print your completed application and sign it (if you can not print your form, it will then automatically be sent to to your registered address within four days after the date of your application),
- When you apply for your child, fill in all the necessary details. Please be aware that you must register with your username and password (not BankID) when submitting your online citizenship application for children.
- The custodian(s) must contribute to the application if you apply for a child.
- The visa fees are then paid, and the request is submitted. Meanwhile, take the print out of the form and sign and sent it to the migration office by post.
Please remember that a Swedish citizenship application is available online only in Swedish.
If you are not able to apply for the permit online, then print the form from the immigration site and send it duly filled by post along with necessary documents.